Adventures in Hawaii: Snorkeling at Molokini Crater

Life With T1D: Because of Diabetes


{This guy is leaving in 2 months for an LDS mission in Ohio. I am not worried about what kind of missionary he'll be, because I know he'll put his whole heart and soul into it. The bigger challenge will be diabetes. So I thought I would re-post this one, just to remind ourselves of the good things we have learned. I know those things are going to help Jared help others.}

I haven't done a "Real Life With Diabetes" post in awhile, and unfortunately that's not because it magically disappeared. Wouldn't that be nice!

Though it would be nice if diabetes "died in a hole," there are some things I would miss about it. No, don't call the authorities....I haven't lost my mind....yet. There are lessons we've learned from it that have been good lessons to learn, and quite possibly, we might not have learned them otherwise.

Because of diabetes, Jared is healthier. I know that seems strange...isn't he in a perpetually "unhealthy" state? Sort of, but as far as everyday illnesses, he's healthier. He takes really good care of himself, works out regularly, and tries to eat pretty healthy, too. I'm pretty sure that if he didn't have diabetes, this wouldn't all be the case. We've been blessed that he is healthy most of the time!

Because of diabetes, Jared is kinder. He is more understanding of other kids who suffer from various ailments and conditions, especially things they have to manage every single day like he does.

Because of diabetes, Jared knows that God is real. He knows that Jesus loves him and helps him. He told me this himself one day when I asked what he's learned from having diabetes. If he learned nothing else, this would certainly be enough!

Because of diabetes, I'm a better mother. I don't know if I can put all the whys into words, but I just know that I am. I'm also healthier and more educated about nutrition.

Last, a good quote from Jared. The other day while he was changing his insulin pump to another site, his grandma was watching and she asked him about it. They got talking, and in the course of the conversation, Jared said this about having diabetes: "Some people just have diabetes." Meaning, it takes over their life. Grandma said, "But not you, huh Jared?" He just smiled and said, "Nope." Some pretty good wisdom right there. I love that kid!

Comments